After going through our expenses the other day, I realized that I spend a good deal of money at Borders and Amazon. I constantly buy my kids books and magazines (plus hot chocolate) as a way to reward them for keeping their rooms clean. My BFF asked me why I didn’t have a library card since I could still get the kids books but for free. I felt like such a ding dong because I never even thought to do that. I checked out where our local library was located and sure enough there’s 2 within 5 minutes of our house.
We ventured out with the munchkins last night and got them all library cards. They were super excited about being able to check out their own books every week. I’ve decided we’re going to go to the library weekly as a way for them to keep up their reading skills and for them to spend time with us without having to spend a ton of money. The whole process took less than 10 minutes and off we went to search for books. I set a limit of how many books they can check out because my kids are like other kids – they always lose their stuff! To combat this, they each get 2 books a week and to keep them organized, I set up a large wicker basket on top a side table in the living room where they need to keep all their library books. Each day the two older kids must read for 1 hour and the younger one 30 minutes, before they can play any of their video games, get on the laptop or play with their toys.
Organization and Garage Sale
Speaking of organization, my house is a huge mess! The only room that is remotely clean is the den (eg my home office and kids’ playroom). Everywhere I turn in my house I see clutter, which just tells me that we have too much stuff. This weekend, I am going to go through every nook and cranny in my house and purge. I am going to get the kids involved and they will be responsible for making 3 piles : keep, donate or sell. I’m hoping to talk my neighbors into having a community garage sale. I have a ton of toys, furniture and random stuff to get rid of. I figure whatever we don’t sell we can donate to the local charity.
And you know I love a good list so….
- Go through pantry and toss anything that’s expired.
- Organize the pantry into sections – Canned goods, grains, cereals, dry spices etc.
- Go through kitchen cupboard and toss anything that hasn’t been used in the last few months
- Clear out most of my munchkins toys.
- Organize all of my magazines and decide which to toss and which to keep as reference.
- Organize my son’s gaming area – put all his games in alphabetical order in a basket, and put the unused controllers in a basket near the game console.
- Organize the drawers in the coffee table and corral all the remote controllers so we never ask the question, “Have you seen the remote?”
- PURGE my munchkins’ clothes and shoes.
- PURGE Will also do another purge of my closet. I have a ton of shoes/clothes that I never wear.
- Donate all my unused hair/makeup to the women’s shelter up the street from the house.
- Organize the socks (I hate this with a passion).
- Organize the garage – we did this last spring and now it is a mess again.
- Organize cleaning supplies under the kitchen sink. Refill any of the cleaning supplies as needed.
- Organize the laundry room (ahem read: do laundry!)
- Clean all the bathrooms.
- Organize the linen closet upstairs.
- Dust all the blinds (yuck!)
- Dry clean our sofa slip covers.
- vacuum/mop up the entire house
- Clean my oven tonight.
Now, my hope is that once I get rid of a lot of clothes/shoes etc from my closet, I can finally put my dresser up for sale on craigslist. The dresser just doesn’t work in our room. I have been wanting to redecorate my room for a long time but no time/or money to do so. With the proceeds from the garage sale, maybe I can finally start saving money to start tackling that next year. There are a couple of dressers sitting in the garage waiting for me to do something with them but honestly I won’t be doing anything with them because I won’t have time now that hubby broke his shoulder. I just need to sell them!