I found out I was getting a small bonus at work for all the hard work I’ve been putting in. I am planning in putting the money into savings and maybe rest myself to something small. In this instance I’ve been needing a new pair of flat shoes got work since the ones I bought 8 months ago are completely worn out.
I’ve mentions before how much paper clutter really makes me crazy. Even though I’ve been good at managing things from getting out if control, well, I always seem to battle paper. So much so that today I spent 4 hours working on my home office. And, people, only 70% is done. My lovely DH just made me some coffee so my second wind comes in. I’m getting rid of everything that’s absolutely not necessary and have had to change the liner on my.heavy duty shredder 2 times now. My little ones are helping with the shredding and recycling. Now I’m just putting everything back in order.
Tomorrow, I will put up weekly spending recap and No embers budget and goals. Have an awesome Saturday night 🙂
I absolutely love fall – the foliage, pumpkin spiced lattes, flannel shirts. Work is still incredibly busy for me but I have been making myself taking walks with my kids and our puppy. Now that my DH is working we are having to get back in the swing of things – chores, homework and kids sports. DH gets home at about 5 and lost kids activity start at 6 – 7. I have
the responsibility of getting dinner and homework done with kids. I also still have the responsibility of keeping our bills paid on time.
My work life is still unbalanced, meaning it is still insane. I still work a ton of hours and this limits how much time I actually have to deal with paperwork. I’ve put together a binder so I can keep track of everything. I have a section for calendars, account information and our budget.
I still hate paper clutter and have been able to keep the clutter at bay. Some weeks are better than some and some weeks are worse. When Mail comes I deal with it immediately before it gets into the house. Everything that is not a bill or pertinent information I immediately recycle. I open every piece if mail right when I get it. I have found that during the years if I don’t so this, paper gets out if control. As bills come in I write when it is due on the calendar and put the actual bill in the flap of the binder. I get paid every other Thursday and hubby gets paid every other Friday, opposite of my week. I try to pay bills right when I get paid. I still have my savings automatically deposited to my online account.
While DH wasn’t working it was really tough to pay bills. I’ve had to use all our savings to pay bills. My immediate goal is to save $2,000. Then I’m targeting my student loans and finally my line of credit. We would like to get save 10% towards the down payment of a new house. We have completely outgrown our house but I absolutely don’t want to buy another house until we build our savings back up.
I am still tracking spending and trying to live within our means. DH will get his first paycheck in a year and a half this Friday and I am beyond excited about having 2 incomes again. With only one income and several large emergencies we have depleted our savings and have to start rebuilding our savings again. I feel a little lost again, almost like I don’t know where to start.
I DO know I need to track religiously and also cut expenses. My goal for the week is balance checkbook and pay some bills. Oh, and find stuff to do that doesn’t cost any money. –>
This past year was very difficult with DH being out of work. A lot of things happened that really impacted our financial lives in a very negative way. I will post more later but I just wanted to post that I’m alive.
1. The most I’ve spent this last week was on our mortgage’s bi-weekly payment of $834 & tabs for the car – $154.
2. Today I am thankful for a great weekend with my sisters & parents. We celebrated my mom’s birthday and my niece turned one. So much food and fun.
3. Money can’t buy happiness. One free thing I did last week that made me happy was reading books with my kids outside in our back yard & drinking fresh homemade lemonade.
4. I will consider this week a success if I can deep clean my entire house from top to bottom. My to do is as follows:
- clean/organize home office
- clean pantry & reorganize it
- do some weeding
- clean bedroom, gather clothes into 3 pies : toss, donate & give
- steam clean the carpets
- pot some flowers and put in the back yard
5. My favorite part of the day is the afternoon because I’m that much closer to go home & hanging out with my babies.
Weekly Money Check-Up is a series that Gina at My Pretty Pennies started up & I participate in.
DH’s last day at work is fast approaching with June right around the corner. Now that my Visa is completely paid off, I will be back to saving $650+ per pay period. I was really counting on my promotion to go through but it got voted down by the Human Resources department. I was really bummed out last week when I was told. I have been working my butt off and to be told that I can’t get my promotion because of judgment passed on my profile (people who don’t know me at all) is very disappointing to say the least. I was told that I will still be put through the promotion round in September. In my mind, that’s too long, but there is nothing that I can do about it so after this post I’m letting the bad juju go.
With that said, I do want to pare down on our costs as much as possible. A few things I’m looking to cut out until DH finds another job:
- Eating out. This is a given but with all the kids’ sporting activities, me working/schooling all the time, it’s hard to not get food. However, it’s not nearly as bad as it use to be, which is great.
- Gym membership. I’m so torn on this because I’m someone who absolutely uses and loves going to the gym. However, I discovered my love for the “insanity” work out program that I can do at home. It hasn’t completely replaced my love for being at the gym but I love that I can do it early in the morning and get it out of the way.
- Weight Watchers. I am starting to use the myfitnesspal app more and more, completely ignoring my WW’s app.
I’m sure there is more I can cut but for now that’s all my feeble little brain can think of. I am hoping to be able to pay all of our bills (mortgage, utilities, insurance, groceries, gas) based on my salary. Now that the Visa is paid off, I feel less stressed about money and want to focus on saving & living on my salary. We are going to start saving DH’s last few paychecks.
Anyhow that’s all I have for right now. Have a great night 🙂